Re: libc5 to libc6 auto-upgrade script

> This version should be close to good enough.  The major change since
> the last one that was posted is the ability to upgrade from files in
> the current dir instead of a local mirror requirement.
>
> This script still needs testing.

> # upgrade a libc5 (bo) machine to libc6 (hamm).
> [...]
> # Revision History:
> [...]
> #v0.5: 1998-01-10 (Igor Grobman)
> #    -added a note about upgrading libraries

I ran this script on a Debian-1.3.1.r6 machine at work, using the
method of placing all the necessary .deb files in the current
directory.

It worked great, with only a few warning messages [1] when it upgraded
libg++ and removed wg15-locale.

[1] From looking at "strings dpkg", it was this warning message:

warning: while removing %.250s, directory `%.250s' not empty so not removed

One of the directories it complained about was /usr/lib/g++.  That was
the only one I was able to write down; they scrolled off the screen
too fast.