Re: Debian 2.0 release requirements

> > You can't satisfy all users anyway. In addition, I would hate to be
> > able to switch to "russian" keyboard mode (by mistake) and enter some
> > letters which look just like English ones in the editor I use for
> > _programming_.
>
> OTOH, many people'd be upset not to be able to insert comments using those
> russian letters. And they'd be right.

OK. Many people would be upset not to be able, many would be upset to be
able. Why do you think ignoring them should be in the policy?
Sure I can recompile my favorite editor myself. But what's the point in
having binary distribution then? What I'm saying is that ignoring the
preferences of many users should not be the policy. Providing
alternatively configured packages (where necessary) would be a solution.

> > Yes. I don't like when I see 8-bit charachters. In my
> > "non-internationalized" configuration they look like "<F23>"
> > highlighted (or something like that). So?
>
> So what you really don't like is non-8-bit-clean software. That's the one
> that displays "<F23>".

Yes, but if I sent you a message containing some russian leters you
wouldn't see them the way I see anyway. The same thing for every other
language. 8-bit clean e-mail message is not the one to send to
international mailing list. But this is off-topic.

> > Sure, but I would like to be able to do "less <binary file>" safely.
> > ("more" is not safe for this).
>
> Guess what? I can see those umlauts in less, and I can also safely do less
> <binary file>.

Great. I am already persuaded that I was wrong about "less".

Thanks.

Alex Y.

--
   _