Re: dhelp and doc-base (was Re: [Fwd: dhelp support?])

Am 08.01.98 schrieb schwarz # monet.m.isar.de ...

Moin Christian!

CS> Depending on how doc-base is configured, it will convert texinfo files
CS> into PostScript, generate info files from texinfo source, etc.

But how long should this take? This would slow the installion of Debian.
And remember Debian is already very slow in installation/configuration.

CS> Here is a concrete example how it could look like: The Debian manual
CS> `Foo's and Bars' (to be written) is included in the "foo" package. The
CS> manual is written in debiandoc-sgml, so HTML, Text, and postscript can be
CS> generated.

Have you tried that? As coordinator of the German HOWTOs I could tell you
that the sgml-tools have got a lot of errors. Automatic conversion will
not work. And there's another problem, not all documents use the same DTD.

Or take latex2html. This produces totally unacceptable output.

Some maybe we should fix the converters before we can release doc-base?

CS> Comments?

I think that we can't convert most formats with a simple script at the
moment. Maybe it would be better, that the maintainer convert the
documents manually and correct the produced erros.

cu, Marco

--
Uni: Budde@tu-harburg.d400.de      Fido: 2:240/5202.15
Mailbox: mbudde@hqsys.antar.com    http://www.tu-harburg.de/~semb2204/