Re: netpbm status?

Hi,
Chris Lawrence wrote:

[actually, this is what Susan wrote a while back]

> Hi Chris --
> I actually saw a couple of files that I thought I might add to netpbm,
> i.e., some that were tag-alongs that were developed after the 1994 release.
> I'm planning on
> a) putting them all into netpbm, and
> b) separating netpbm into a free and non-free part.
>
> Right now, I'm waiting on Frank Neumann to get back from South America
> so he can tell me if he's willing to release the 7 programs he wrote
> under the GPL.

Wow, I was to South America? Interesting to know. :-)

> (Plus, I'm plugging away at the FAQ.)
>
> I'll let you know when I get back to nepbm -- it'll probably be toward
> the end of April, since Frank won't be back til mid-April.

I in fact answered Susan's mail very delayed, and when I did, I allowed her
to use my little programs for Debian (they could have been GPLed all the
time, but I really didn't know better when I hacked them up).

I also pointed Susan to a collegue of mine, Ingo Wilken, who is sort-of trying
to maintain netpbm since it was abandoned by this swedish guy whose names
escapes me at the moment..anyway, Ingo wants to release a new netpbm some
day, and I believe it will help quite a lot if people push him a bit..
that's at least what I have been doing for the last 8 weeks, without much
success so far. :-}

Frank