Non-interactive installs [Re: need libc5 non-maintainer upgrade]

On Sat, Jan 3 1998 17:38 +0100 Richard Braakman writes:
> Christian Schwarz wrote:
> [Immediate-Configure: Yes field]
[...]
> An Immediate-Configure field will help with 2, but I think there is a
> better solution.  If there is a way to specify that a package's
> postinst is _not interactive_, then dpkg can attempt to configure
> those packages right away; there is no reason not to try.  (If
> dependencies are not satisfied, it can try again after all packages
> have been unpacked.)

[This discussion belongs probably to debian-policy]
As Roberto already pointed out on debian-policy, a clever solution would
be to make the postinst non-interactive _in general_. If then a program
wouldn't have a postconfigure file it could be configured right away.

David
--
David Frey (51F35923114FC864 7D05FF173C61EFDE)
  -- Henry Spencer