Re: autmake & debian? (was: Re: cron jobs more often than daily)

On Mon, Jan 05, 1998 at 08:08:51PM +0100, Christian Schwarz wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > Automake does support the GNU standard, a less restrict one, and (perhaps)
> > the gnits standard (the new GNU standard). Will there be automake support
> > for Debian packages ?
>
> (BTW, the discussion about this was in mid Oct 97.)

(Ok, perhaps I will look in the archive. I certainly wasn't ready for this
technical topic at that time ;)

> The idea is to create the debian/rules file by a macro processor. (Since
> automake is used to create Makefiles and debian/rules is a Makefile,
> someone suggested to use it. However, doubts have been presented that it
> does not fit exactly to our purposes. Someone would have to do some
> experiments on this. If it doesn't fit, we can use or write another macro
> generator.)

Although I'm not able to judge auto{conf,make}'s capabilities, I had the
impression that they are strong tools. It would be nice to have some
general approach like this become standard for debian packages (I imagine
that auto compiling and porting would be easier then).

[...]
> Furthermore, since debian/rules would be generated by the maintainer only,
> everyone else can recompile the package and get the same results. (With
> debstd this is one problem. You need exactly the same debstd version than
> the maintainer had to get the same package.)

I see.

> It would be nice if we could find one (or more) volunteers to do some
> experiments on that issue.

Yes, I think it would be a Good Thing.

Thank you,
Marcus

--
"Rhubarb is no Egyptian god."                         Debian GNU/Linux
Marcus Brinkmann                                      http://www.debian.org