Re: Linking shared libraries with -lc

Christian Schwarz wrote:
> Basically, I agree with you. However, I think we should stick to the usual
> procedure. That is, we should prepare a policy change which will then be
> discussion on debian-policy and included in the next policy weekly posting
> for approval. After that, the policy manual is changed and you could start
> filing bug reports.

Oh.  Er.  I just sent them out.  I think your mail arrived while I
was sending them :)

I didn't expect this to be a matter of determining policy; I thought
that because it was listed in the "Upcoming Releases" file, it had
been decided on before I joined.  That's why I didn't wait very long
for comments.  (I'm impatient because I have a lot of free time this
week, and I'll be much more busy next week.  I want to get Debian
stuff done :-)

> So, if you like, I'd appreciate it if you could come up with a suggestion
> for the policy text. (If not, then I'll do it when I have time for this.)

I don't think I have the expertise for that.  Ray Dassen's version
contains many remarks that I can't explain.  I just know that it's
useful to have the linker warn if you try to link a libc5 library with
a libc6 one, especially now that we're building a libc6 release.

Richard Braakman