Re: Linking shared libraries with -lc

On Sat, Jan 03, 1998 at 07:09:38PM +0100, Christian Schwarz wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jan 1998, Richard Braakman wrote:
[-lc issue]

> Basically, I agree with you. However, I think we should stick to the usual
> procedure. That is, we should prepare a policy change which will then be
> discussion on debian-policy and included in the next policy weekly posting
> for approval. After that, the policy manual is changed and you could start
> filing bug reports.

IMHO, the link issue itself does not need more discussion; the issue itself
has been known for a long time, and nobody has expressed any objections that
I can recall. As such, I don't think Richard should wait with filing the
bugreports; perhaps he can just put in a "details will soon be available in
an upgraded policy document". Perhaps the phrasing of this needs discussion,
but not the implementation.
Don't get me wrong: in general, I'm very much in favour of discussing things
before putting them into policy; just in this case, I think that there is
already a concensus, and waiting for it to go into policy officially before
submitting bugreports just delays implementation.

> Everything else is likely to result into big flame wars. (Maintainers
> usually don't like to see bugs reported against their packages unless you
> refer to the policy manual :-)

Hmmm... I've never felt this way; I do feel free to ignore "bugs" that I
don't consider bugs and that don't have to do with policy.

Ray
--
PATRIOTISM  A great British writer once said that if he had to choose
between betraying his country and betraying a friend he hoped he would