Re: Breaking GNU standards off from autoconf

On Sat, Dec 06, 1997 at 09:15:21PM -0500, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Would anyone mind particularly if I took the GNU standards.info out of
> autoconf and made a new package for it, and added maintain.info and
> tasks.info to this package?  I think it is the right thing to do;
> autoconf is not particularly suited for this.
>
> On another note, is there a magic way to get this new package
> installed by default if autoconf was previously installed?  Or should
> I just use Suggests: on the part of autoconf?

 I've once suggested a new header for that:

 Implied-by:

 or

 Previously-in:

 Many users find that (e.g.) fetchpop has dissappeared, and have to waste
their time to find that it was renamed to fetchmail.
 That wouldn't happen with a `Implied-by: fetchpop'.

 In the case of autoconf, it would be a versioned `implied-by'.