Re: bo -> hamm

On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Santiago Vila Doncel wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
>
> > I was wondering, if anybody has a package, which does the upgrade from Debian
> > to hamm (probably a simple shell script is sufficient).
> >
> > If so, I would like to install this script and try the hamm distribution. If
> > not, wouldn't it be worth to do it?
>
> Probably.
>
> There is no such script, as far as I know, but there is a wonderful
> tool written by Manoj Srivastava, pkg-order. Using this package I think
> it will be very easy to write a "script to upgrade the system".
>
> (BTW: Currently, this would be really more robust than using dselect or
> following the libc6-mini-howto).

Well, there actually is a primative attempt of mine available in the
/upgrades directory of any complete debian archive. It is called DoList.
It was my first attempt at a perl program so it is relatively free of
"perlisms" and very straight forward. It uses dpkg to install, or remove
(depending on tags in the list), packages indicated in a list (from a
pre-prepaired file) in the order that they appear on the list. This script
was used successfully by me to do the "by hand" upgrade portion of both
1.1 and 1.2 upgrades (I was too busy with 1.3 and just did a fresh
install..well, actually several ;-)
There are example lists for the base section that installed those packages
in the proper order. I always intended to create a list for the "standard"
distribution but never found the time.
With Manoj's pkg-order you will not need to worry about ordering your list
by hand (something that wasn't available the first time I did this).

Anyway, take a look at DoList and see if it will do the job.

Luck,

Dwarf