Easier configuration idea....

One of the faculty I have to support here is using Caldera's OpenLinux.
Although Debian is still my favorite, I am pleased with some of the easy
configuration features of OpenLinux.

For those of you who are unaware, OpenLinux has a directory under /etc
called, I believe, sysconfig. In there are bunches of scripts that are
employed by the rc scripts in rc?.d and init.d. For example, I believe the
NFS one is located at /etc/sysconfig/network/nfs and its contents might
look something like:

   run_on_boot=y
   run_as=root

Probably a few others. I forget. The nice thing here is how easy it is to
turn something on or off. With Debian, to turn something off I usually go
into /etc/init.d and rename netstd_nfs to netstd_nfs.off. Kinda ugly.

What I find exciting is the potential to have a dselect-like utility to
manage the system configuration. If those little configration files
contained some verbage about what the package does, like:

   descrip=Network File System. Allows you to share directories, etc.

then you have the makings of a quick little utility that would let you
turn options on and off in a menued utility.

Again... has this already been discussed and thrown out? I'd be willing to
write the config utility if I could get some sort of buy-in that it would
actually be embraced by the package maintainers if the utility didn't
suck.

- Joe