Re: not a first amendment question

On Mon, 01 Dec 1997 16:40:00 -0500, Brian White <bcwhite@verisim.com> said:

Brian> Morality is a touchy subject and (in my opinion) the _only_ place to
Brian> draw this line is all or nothing.

Agreed, except that clearly illegal stuff should be banned, of
course. I doubt anyone would condone a child_pornography.deb package,
for instance :-)

Otherwise I'm totally against censoring anything based on content. If
you don't like something or find something offensive, don't install
it. It's not like someone is forcing users to install the purity
package, for example.

I think the recent comparison to "fortune" was valid. It asks whether
or not to install the "offensive" portion at install time. Why
couldn't the purity package (and any other similiar packages) do the
same? Or at least display a warning about "possibly offensive
content". That way everyone should be reasonably happy.

//Petri