Re: /etc /usr/etc: solution?

Hi,
>>"Vadim" == Vadim Vygonets <vadik@cs.huji.ac.il> writes:

Vadim> On Sat, 5 Jul 1997, Alex Yukhimets wrote:
>> > It doesn't offend me.  I don't admin large networks Debian
>> systems yet, although it might change soon.  I just think that one
>> of the reasons to keep conffiles in /usr is what you argued
>> against, and another one is that any Unix system must keep its root
>> partition (and, therefore, /etc) as small as possible.  And
>> regarding many people: I
>>
>> I just checked and my /etc takes about 2MB. Is that 1MB you want to
>> move to /usr and therefore make root partition smaller we are
>> talking about???

Vadim> When the root partition is about 16M, 1M is more than enough.

	Really? This is a subjective opinion I do not agree with.

>> Even more, moving things to /usr would require judgement from
>> _each_ package maintainer. I suspect most of us do not have
>> experience of large network administaration and common sense may
>> easily fail.

Vadim> By default, programs don't install the config files in /etc.
Vadim> The judgement is basically like this: look at the program
Vadim> source.  If the program installs its config file (on other
Vadim> Unices) somewhere in /usr, move it to /usr/bin; if it installs
Vadim> the conffile in /etc (some other place on the root partition
Vadim> where conffiles live?), let it stay in /etc.  When in doubt,
Vadim> contact debian-devel.

	I think that this way lies insanity. We have a standard place
 for conf files, and we have improved over the Unices I deal with
 during my job. I refuse to blow it away unless there is sound
 technical grounds for it. I have yet to see any.

>> Guys, let's keep eyes on the ball and postpone the solution of this
>> problem till it would actually be a problem. Meanwhile someone
>> (Vadim ?) could develop a package containing utilities which would
>> simplify task of maintainence and administration of large network
>> environments.

Vadim> What do you mean, actually a problem?  It is.  For me, at
Vadim> least, and, I believe, for many people.  And what do you mean
Vadim> by simplifying the maintainance and admining of large networks?
Vadim> If you tell me what package exactly you want to see, maybe I'll
Vadim> make it.  And please, let's not postpone the solution of this
Vadim> problem -- I want to improve Debian ASAP, in all the directions
Vadim> (as long as they lead towards good, compatible and
Vadim> easy-to-manage distribution).

	In which case, please look at cfengine, rdist, CAcenter, and
 maybe TME ;-). Moving conffiles to /usr is not the answer. better
 sysadmin tools are.

	manoj

--
 We'd like to make a deal with the computer.  We promise not to fold,
 spindle or mutilate if it will stop asking us to sign our name over