Re: /usr vs. root was: /etc /usr/etc

Vadim Vygonets wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Jul 1997, Vincent Renardias wrote:
> > Agreed, although I still don't see what's wrong with cfengine...
>
> See above and other posts.

I've been following this thread rather closely, and I don't
think anyone has covered either the pros or cons of using
cfengine at all.

All I've seen is proposals to move conf files around and/or use
a feature of the new developement kernels.

Actually, I have yet to see an impartial analysis of either
method that compares each on their strengths and weaknesses.
Most of the "debate" I've seen over this issue has amounted
to people making subjective comments as to whether they feel that
something is "ugly" or "sexy".  No offense, but saying something
is good (or bad) without explaining _why_ is not very useful.
Especially in a technical discussion.

Perhaps someone could start from the beginning, and first define
the problem as they see it, then present all the solutions, and
discuss their strengths and weaknesses.

This is obviously a topic that many people feel rather strongly
about (considering some people seem to want to bend the FSSTND),
so perhaps this should be looked at little more formally.

Behan Webster

--
Behan Webster     mailto:behanw@verisim.com
+1-613-224-7547   http://www.verisim.com/