Re: The TWIN stuff from willows

On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> In article <[🔎] m0wjac1-00JapqC@golem.pixar.com> you wrote:
> : Holy heck, it doesn't look as if there _is_ a catch!
>
> There is one: Support for 32bit binaries is very much not working!
>
> Otherwise this is a dream. We need that package ASAP and then lets try
> on replacing all the Operating System Stuff from MS in the next year.
>
> We need to expand alien to be able to process *.inf files and other
> installation stuff so that we can convert Windows apps to install
> under dpkg.

It's going to be a little more complicated than that.  Their are so many
different ways of installing stuff in the windows world, that it would be
nearlly impossible to keep track of everything.  Such as, version numbers
being inside the .dll's.  Differen't methods for installation: The old
Microsoft setup, to the new InstallShield methods.  What would be better,
is for a method to track the installation, such as the pcmag utility
InCtrl2.  Using the Info gained from monitering the Installation, maybe
you could uninstall it, but then again, this is windows we are talking
about.

Shaya