Re: Upgrading from 1.1 to frozen

On Tue, 27 May 1997, Thomas Koenig wrote:

> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>
> >	People will probably have told you this, but the Packages file
> > was not corrupted, those 1:x.x.xx are critical (these are epochs),
> > and the problem actually is that the version of dpkg being used is
> > too old to understand epochs.
>
> OUCH.
>
> Is there any reason why this can't be handled in a different field?
> Breaking compatibility for something like this is <censored>.

The epoch part of the version field was always specified, it's just that
early versions of dselect or dpkg had a bug regarding them.

> I thought one of the goals of Debian was ease of upgrade.  I'm sure
> that 95% of users who totally hose their systems by this WILL do
> a complete reinstall, and it won't be Debian they will be installing.
>
> This is the most critical bug I've seen in the release phase of 1.3.
> Something needs to be done about it, urgently.

Solution to "bug", install dpkg-1.4.0.8.  The real problem is someone
trying to skip a release (1.2) and therefore missing the bug fix in 1.2
that would prevent this problem.

> >	Why is this information (about the need to upgrade dpkg
> > *first*) not screaming out all over the web pages and the
> > installation README's?
>
> That is very probably not enough.  People don't read README files unless
> these are rammed down their throats.

And if you don't read the documentation, especially the release
instructions, you get what you deserve.  I can't tell you how sick I am of
hearing people complain about a broken make or sendmail after upgrading
their kernel from 1.2 to 2.0.x because they DIDN'T READ THE DOCUMENTATION.

Really, we knew about the epoch problem in 1.2, we fixed it, the fix has
been discussed on debian-user a number of times.  The solution is:

dpkg -i dpkg_1.4.0.8.deb
dpkg --clear-available

|       Scott K. Ellis       |       Argue for your limitations and      |
|       storm@gate.net       |         sure enough, they're yours.       |
|                            |                -- Illusions               |