Re: Upgrading from 1.1 to frozen

Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>	People will probably have told you this, but the Packages file
> was not corrupted, those 1:x.x.xx are critical (these are epochs),
> and the problem actually is that the version of dpkg being used is
> too old to understand epochs.

OUCH.

Is there any reason why this can't be handled in a different field?
Breaking compatibility for something like this is <censored>.

I thought one of the goals of Debian was ease of upgrade.  I'm sure
that 95% of users who totally hose their systems by this WILL do
a complete reinstall, and it won't be Debian they will be installing.

This is the most critical bug I've seen in the release phase of 1.3.
Something needs to be done about it, urgently.

>	Why is this information (about the need to upgrade dpkg
> *first*) not screaming out all over the web pages and the
> installation README's?

That is very probably not enough.  People don't read README files unless
these are rammed down their throats.
--
Thomas Koenig, Thomas.Koenig@ciw.uni-karlsruhe.de, ig25@dkauni2.bitnet.
The joy of engineering is to find a straight line on a double