Re: rm -r * and the default prompt

On Mon, 19 May 1997, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> >Anybody should know that before typing "rm -rf *" or an equivolent,
> >you THINK FIRST, every time.
>
> The problem does not arise when you type rm the first time but after you
> have some confidence and you think you know what you are doing.
>
> Everybody knows what you should think first. But who does after getting
> used to it?

Generally, after installing any system, I add this to ~/.profile for
root:-

alias rm="/bin/rm -i"

This pretty much stops me from doing anything stupid - especially by a
typo, like mistyping rm /etc/*~ as rm /etc/*... I did that once :(.

--
Tom Lees <tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk>			http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/
PGP ID 87D4D065, fingerprint 2A 66 86 9D 02 4D A6 1E  B8 A2 17 9D 4F 9B 89 D6