Re: rm -r * and the default prompt

> Anybody should know that before typing "rm -rf *" or an equivalent,
> you THINK FIRST, every time.

And AFTER you type it.

The prompt doesn't make the slightest difference when the death knell sounds:

  rm: .o: No such file or directory

and it dawns on you there was an extra space in the last thing you typed:

  rm -f * .o

Argh!

At least GNU rm won't do what a version of Xenix (running on a 80186 :) did to
me once.  In response to an attempt to to get rid of my personal defaults:

 # cd /home/phil
 # rm -rf .*

It recursed upwards (..) and killed everything under /home

Unix, World of Adventure --- The trick is to keep your backups up to date.

Cheers, Phil.