Re: libc6 migration -- xlib

On Tue, 20 May 1997, Tom Lees wrote:

> > 	3) can I drop the a.out-only "dlltools" package now? :-)
>
> No. It is needed to build a.out versions of, e.g. svgalib. Some older
> binary-only programs only come in a.out format (Doom, for example) :(.

Yes, it can be dropped _(;

1/ Doom comes without any source, so dlltools won't be of any use.

2/ The a.out version of the dynamic loader is not supported any more.

3/ the libc4[-dev] packages are not maintained any more.

4/ We don't provide aout-gcc anymore[1], so tools any tools related to
a.out develpment are useless.

Let's face it: a.out is DEAD.
Debian still support a.out executables _execution_ but not a.out
_development_ anymore...

	Cordialement,

1:
gcc (2.7.2.1-6) unstable; urgency=low