Re: sendmail/smail with relaying blocks?

In article <[🔎] 3379B1F9.1BD7@hermes.cam.ac.uk>,
	Chris Walker <cjw1006@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:
>> My exim package currently allows relaying; as Craig points out below, what
>> you allow relaying to/from is extremely site-dependent.
>
> I beg to differ. I think what is the sensible default depends on the
> usage of the machine. For departmental mail servers, then you are
> correct relaying is more sensible,

No it isn't. Only relaying from machines in the department is sensible.

> but for "Satellite" systems, it is more sensible to block it.

Should the satellite systems be accepting connections from systems other
than themselves (and possibly, depending on how the system is set up, the
departmental server)

> Could you ask a question at configuration time, probably defaulting to
> not allowing relaying. If you want to be really clever, you could make a
> guess based on earlier answers.

Better still would be to ask what domains to allow relaying for (allowing
all and none as options of course).
.