Re: sendmail/smail with relaying blocks?

On Fri, 9 May 1997, Craig Sanders wrote:

> On Thu, 8 May 1997, Mark Baker wrote:
>
> > In article <[🔎] 199705081601.SAA00338@mvmap66.ciw.uni-karlsruhe.de>,
> > 	Thomas Koenig <ig25@mvmap66.ciw.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:
> >
> > I don't know what's in Tim's debian package though, as I was already
> > running exim when I upgraded to debian and used my old configuration
> > file.

My exim package currently allows relaying; as Craig points out below, what
you allow relaying to/from is extremely site-dependent.  I think it is
more sensible to allow relaying by default; without it remote mail from
Eudora and the like will fail, and I'd rather it worked by default.  I
have only just restricted mail relaying on my largest exim site (an SG
Origin 200 machine with >1200 accounts) since relaying abuse by spammers
has only just become a significant problem.  As Mark suggested below, most
use temporary accounts and the usual ISP's SMTP server.  I think most
spammers are probably morons who don't actually have a clue how mail
works.

> > I think you'll find most small time spammers just use their own ISP's
> > mail host anyway, until they lose their accounts; the big ones get a
> > leased line from AGIS :(

>    As far as i can tell, if you block relaying by IP address, you have
>    to list every individual IP address in the LocalIP file. You can't
>    just specify a network address and a netmaks (e.g. 192.168.1.0/24)

In exim you can restrict it to certain networks.  For example, my SG site
restricts relaying to hosts in 131.111, like so:

sender_net_accept_relay = "131.111.0.0/255.255.0.0"

> 2. do we (debian) distribute a 'Spammers' and 'SpamDomains' file with the
>    package?  what are the legal ramifications of doing that?

That's unfeasible.  The list grows too fast.  We try to maintain one here
in Cambridge, and I have long since given up trying to keep up.  It grows
at about half a dozen addresses a day, and quite frankly I have more
important things to do with my time.  My exim configuration does look up a
list of the worst offenders though:

sender_reject_recipients = "lsearch;/usr/local/lib/exim/rejectlist"

and I also reject mail from certain hosts and networks entirely:

sender_net_reject_recipients = 205.199.212.0/255.255.255.0
sender_host_reject_recipients = 204.127.131.33:38.8.32.2:38.8.45.2:38.8.200.2:20
6.142.102.1

One of those is (surprise!) interramp.com.

Tim.