Re: ae's vi attempt on boot disks stomps on real vi symlink

rsr@lab.net (Ryan Smith-Roberts)  wrote on 11.05.97 in <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.970511091338.13744B-100000@crime.lab.net>:

> If it costs 60k or thereabouts, and cuts interactive install time by
> two-thirds for say 30% of the people who install Debian, isn't it worth
> it?  I would guess that's a much bigger payoff than most of the stuff
> in the base system, such as 'top'.

Sure. Only one problem: including vi there *does not* "cut interactive
install time by two-thirds for say 30% of the people who install Debian".

My guess would be cut by 5% for 1% of the people. And that's really not
worth it. (That's from the maybe 5% of people who have any reason at all
to use an editor during that phase, 1/5 of them benefit from vi, the time
they spend there probably isn't that much to begin with, and the
improvement by having an editor they know, over an editor whose help is
more than obvious, is even smaller.)

This thread is extremely silly.

MfG Kai