[Fwd: Re: dpkg question]

I have forwarded to this list because I need some advice.
--- Begin Message ---
On May 10, Lawrence Chim wrote

> Igor Grobman wrote:
> > > I am the cqcam (Color QuickCam) and vic-cqcam (video conference for
> > > Color QuickCam)
> > > maintainer.  After I read your mail, I have a question.  The vic-cqcam
> > > will
> > > not compile from the .dsc and .orig.tar files because vic-cqcam requires
> > > some
> > > ..o file from the cqcam source.  May be it is the reason why my cqcam
> > > moved to
> > > hamm while the vic-cqcam still in Incoming :)
> > >
> > > For example, to successfully compile vic-cqcam, the dirs should look
> > > something like
> > >   cqcam-0.42/
> > >   vic-cqcam-2.8/
> > >   cqcam -> cqcam-0.42
> > > and, of course, cqcam have to be compiled first.
> > >
> > > How should I tackle this problem?  Should I include the cqcam source
> > > into the
> > > vic-cqcam source?
> > >
> > > Lawrence,
> >
> > This is definitely a bug, and while this is not a reason the package hasn't
> > been moved from Incoming, it would definitely be reported :).  What you need to
> > do is figure out which source files are needed to compile that .o file, and
> > move it to vic-cqcam source (.orig.tar.gz), and put appropriate instructions in
> > the rules.
> >
> > This is ugly though.  Are the 2 files distributed in one source, and you are
> > manually separating them?  In that case, you will need to keep it one source
> > and make several packages from it--multi-binary source package in debian terms.
> >

> So, I need to include 90% of .h and .c files from cqcam source to vic
> source :)
>
> cqcam is developed by Patrick Reynolds <patrickr@iname.com> and
> vic is developed by Network Research Group at the Lawrence Berkeley
> National Laboratory.
> vic supports many capture devices and it based cqcam source to support
> Color QuickCam.
>
> Lawrence,

Well, it looks like you will need to keep one source for both of them.
However, since they are from 2 different sources, I am not sure it would be in
accord with debian policy.  Current situation is definitely unacceptable, since
we want our packages to build as they are without the strange setup currently
required.

I think this is something that needs to be posted on debian-devel.

--
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@digicron.com

--- End Message ---