Re: sendmail/smail with relaying blocks?

Tim Cutts wrote:

>My exim package currently allows relaying; as Craig points out below, what
>you allow relaying to/from is extremely site-dependent.  I think it is
>more sensible to allow relaying by default; without it remote mail from
>Eudora and the like will fail, and I'd rather it worked by default.

I can only speak for Claus Aßmann's sendmail config options (it's at
http://www.informatik.uni-kiel.de/%7Eca/email/check.html ; I've looked
it up in the meantime :-)

These should work in that case, because as long as either the MAIL
FROM or RCPT TO line expands to something that matches a list of
permissible IP addresses, the mail goes through.  I have no idea how
this would work with Exim, though.

>I think most
>spammers are probably morons who don't actually have a clue how mail
>works.

The clue level is rising, thanks to cyberpromo :-(

>In exim you can restrict it to certain networks.  For example, my SG site
>restricts relaying to hosts in 131.111, like so:
>
>sender_net_accept_relay = "131.111.0.0/255.255.0.0"

That sounds extremely useful.

>> 2. do we (debian) distribute a 'Spammers' and 'SpamDomains' file with the
>>    package?  what are the legal ramifications of doing that?
>
>That's unfeasible.  The list grows too fast.

I agree.  Paul Vixie (he of cron fame) runs a realtime BGP feed for
anyobdy who's interested, though.  [Ugh, is there a debian-offtopic
mailing list? Maybe we should move the spam-specific parts of the
discussion there :-]
--
Thomas Koenig, Thomas.Koenig@ciw.uni-karlsruhe.de, ig25@dkauni2.bitnet.
The joy of engineering is to find a straight line on a double