Re: ae's vi attempt on boot disks stomps on real vi symlink

On Thu, 8 May 1997 jwalther@citytel.net wrote:

> On Thu, 8 May 1997, Craig Sanders wrote:
>
> > yes, it's a completely different editor. it just happens to be a
> > very ugly one, as bad as pico or possibly worse (at least pico can
> > delete a whole line with a single keystroke).
>
> I happen to disagree with you.

fine, disagree with me.  you are at liberty to do so.

> Let me put this thru your thick skull.

That sort of language is not necessary. a difference of opinion is not
an excuse for being an arsehole.

> vi *sucks*.

in your opinion, vi sucks. in my opinion it is the only editor worth
using. many people agree with you, many agree with me, many disagree
with both of us. it doesn't make any difference at all - use whatever
works for you.

> Emacs roxxens. ae is the best at what it does for what it is. Got any
> more questions? If so, email me privately and quit complaining about
> one of the wiser decisions the hardworking debian team has made to
> allow us to install our favorite OS more easily.

if you have such respect for the "hardworking debian team" then why tell
one of them that he has a thick skull?

> Because of ae's small size, it frees up space on the root diskette that vi
> would have hogged,

we're not talking about having vi on the boot disks. we're talking about
ae's vi emulation mode. the vi issue has been dealt with several times
before, and until there is a "spare" 200-300k on the boot disks, vi isn't
going to be included.

my comment was that ae's vi mode was much better than not having vi at
all. in other words, it is a reasonable compromise on the vi vs disk-space
issue.

i suggest you read a thread fully before jumping in with your
ill-informed opinions.

> thus making many other small utilities unavailable. And for those
> of us who arent grizzled oldbies, like, the 80% newbies who are
> installing linux, ae's built in help is the greatest thing since
> sliced bread. And dont say "man vi" coz the man pages dont *fit* on
> the root diskettes.

if vi is beyond your ability to learn then unix probably is too.

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract