Re: Should we implement a /etc/profile.d?

[ Please don't Cc: public replies to me. ]

Raul Miller:
> I was thinking more in terms of administrative decisions than
> package maintainer decisions.

That's a different issue, and one I don't care about as
hotly about. So we agree that Debian packages shouldn't use
/etc/profile.d?  If admins want to use it (and it might be
a good idea for them), they can easily implement it themselves
(only problem being that packages don't automatically install
and uninstall files in /etc/profile.d). Or they can use some
other mechanism that is compatible with what they use on all
other platforms -- which would be awkward if Debian mandated
/etc/profile.d.

> I don't see how the current /etc/profile.d/ proposal even
> begins to cover this kind of ground.

Aye, it doesn't.