Re: ncurses4.0

jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl (J.H.M.Dassen) writes:
> As I recall, ncurses4 isn't official. ncurses3 (1.9.9) is still the
> latest according to the official pages at
> <URL:http://www.ccil.org/~esr/ncurses.html>.

Well, I've recently been trying to enquire of ESR as to his current
feelings---there was talk some months ago of some reconciliation
between the then-fragmented developers, and of making 4.0
official---and have gotten no response.

I'm going to try again, but if he continues to be unresponsive, I'm
going to be forced to assume that this means that he has decided to
move on to other projects, leaving Tom Dickey running the show---and
Tom *does* think that 4.0 is official.

So, I hope the 4.0 thing will be resolved in the next couple of weeks,
at which point I will probably issue a 4.0 compiled against glibc as
an integral part of the Debian 2.0 release.  It'll be about time, and
hopefully I'll be able to close many of the open reports against
ncurses---3.0 has served us well, but it's time to move on.

Mike.