non-us packages

Hi,

Is there a way of getting dselect to deal with non-us stuff in a sensible way ?

I would like to burn a CD with the non-us packages included.  I know I could
create a non-us directory, and tell people that they should specify it as
their ``local''.

Alternatively, I could put the individual packages into bo, contrib and
non-free as appropriate and then run dpkg-scanpackages, but it's a shame that
I (and anyone else doing the same) keep on having to do it, and it makes
mirroring a pain.

Would it not be possible to have symbolic links in the main three pointing to
non-us. i.e.:

  ln -s ../../../non-us/binary-i386/ssh_1.2.20-1.deb bo/binary-i386/net

so that one just needs to mirror the non-us directory into the same tree to
get the whole thing to work.  This would also show people why some things are
missing from the US distribution.

What needs to be done to stop the hanging links from causing a problem for
people without the non-us directory ?

I suppose we could have a dummy non-us area on the ftp.debian.org site, with a
dummy package (itar-sucks.deb ?) linked to the names of all the non-us
packages.

Cheers, Phil.