Re: "dselect" replacement team

Jim Van Zandt writes:
 > For an initial installation, the user should be making *binary*
 > choices -- whether to include or exclude a package (or group of
 > packages).  There should be no distinction between "hold" and
 > "install", or between "remove" and "purge".

Why do we need here to distinguish between 1st-time install and after ?
I think the problem here is a general one that could easily be solved:

* forbid to "hold" a package whose installed state is "remove",
"purge", "new", etc.
* make the "remove" keybinding "purge" the package's installed state
is "purge" or "new"

* maybe just document "hold" and "purge" if at least one package's
installed state is "install", or provide a "short intro do deselect",
concurently to full reference.

--
Yann Dirson

e-mail: dirson@univ-mlv.fr