Re: backup program

In your email to me, Christian Meder, you wrote:

> Hi Tim!
>
> On Apr 16, Tim Sailer wrote
> > Has anyone used afbackup, a client/server backup system? I may package this
> > up as a debian package if no one else is doing it.
>
> I have made a debian package for my local use and it's running just
> fine. If you are interested I will polish it a little bit up and
> upload it in experimental.

Great! I'm running a non-debianized copy, and have been very happy with it.

> There are still a couple of things which have to be solved before
> inclusion in the distribution:
>
> * I'm not sure about the copyright:
>
> >This software comes under the GNU-GPL. Any terms covered
> >by this file conflicting with the GPL override those of the
> >GPL. This file or parts of it must not be removed from the
> >software.
>
> >Any non-commercial organization may use, distribute and
> >modify this software without any limitation. Commercial
> >companies or organizations are not allowed to distibute
> >this software or use it within products or other software
> >they are selling or distributing, even if no charge is made.
> >Exceptions from this can be requested from me personally.
> >If a commercial company or organization would like to
> >redistribute this, please drop me an email and we can
> >talk about it.
>
> >The server side of this backup system must not be ported
> >to any Microsoft-based "operating-system".
>
> Opinions ?

It's too restrictive. I emailed the author yesterday about CD distributions,
but still have no answer back.

> * the fsstnd isn't followed: the installation wants to occupy
> ./afbackup/client/{var,lib,bin}. Configuration in lib, logs in var,
> binaries in bin. It seems to be hardcoded after a quick look in the
> source. I want to ask the upstream author if he can change
> it. Otherwise my only idea is to use symlinks.
>
> * the documentation isn't very exhaustive, some binaries are
> undocumented

Very true..

> Probably I will email the author raising this questions.

Go ahead. One question though.. you have to provide a string for
authentication when you compile it. Now, with a binary distribution,
that string will be all the same.. I asked the author about making that
a command line parameter, but again, no answer. Maybe you can ask the
same questions, and one of us will get an answer.

Tim

--
 (work) sailer@bnl.gov / (home) tps@buoy.com - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
	   "What if there were no hypothetical situations?"