Re: DEITY TEAM -- REQUEST FOR FUNCTIONALITY and COMMENTS

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>     > (a) It would be nice to have some sort of temporary audit trail
>     > for dselect.
>
>  When there are packages that have errors during installation, a
> record of the error output would be useful for `bug` reports.  I could
> have sent several, but the mess's scrolled away, and are lost forever.
>
>  If errors are always reported on stderr, perhaps it can be tee'd into
> a log file...  That's how it's done, right?

I suppose this might possibly be doable; I don't always remember to send
errors to stderr, though, I don't know about anybody else, and I've found
it useful to have a record of the steps leading up to the error. Like,
OK, so it can't find the file, but which one? ;)

And you can't use tee for the whole output stream, either, which is the
obvious solution. I came up against this when I wanted to add logging to
dpkg-mountable, and I thought it would be easy. However, using `tee' has
two problems. Firstly, you don't get any record of the keyboard input.
This is not necessarily a problem, but it would be nice. And secondly,
all the partial lines (ie, prompts and status line things) get buffered!

What I did in the end was to hack a version of `script' which lets you
run an arbitary command, rather than running your shell. Then dpkg
--whatever is run via this command, and everything is peachy! If the
Deity team want to do logging, this seemed to me to be the way to go,
although other approaches are presumably possible.

&E

--
Andy Mortimer, andy.mortimer@poboxes.com
http://www.netforward.com/poboxes/?andy.mortimer