Zero disk install

On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> I have a few bug-fixes yet to do, but no substantial changes. Do Dale and
> Sven think they can have a no-floppy install working for 1.3 ? About the
> only thing missing is the CD-locator script - they have one I wrote a while
> back for 0.93 somewhere in the boot-floppies source, but it needs
> modification.

I have been trying to wade through my mail from last week (2155 messages)
and get back to speed on my own tasks. I saw (and saved) a posting by
someone who has actually almost succeeded in a no-floppy install. He put
the base_1.2.tgz, a kernel image, a root image, and loadlin.exe on the dos
partition and was able to do "most" of the install. Where he ran into
trouble was in getting a copy of the kernel image onto the new partition,
since there was no rescue disk to take it from. I haven't looked at it
yet, but it should not be much trouble to make the installation find the
image on the mounted dos partition instead of the rescue floppy (while
keeping the rescue floppy as the default source).
If we can get the CD mounting to work solidly from the installation
kernel, I see no reason that this could not be done entirely off the CD
without resorting to copying stuff to a dos partition, but this is still
rather problematic for some hardware configurations.
I'll try to find some time this week to try his method (using initrd) and
see if I can find a way to "break" out of the installation proceedure and
copy the kernel "by hand", returning to the installation for the remainder
of the process.

Luck,

Dwarf