Re: Zero disk install

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> I have been trying to wade through my mail from last week (2155
> messages) and get back to speed on my own tasks. I saw (and saved) a
> posting by someone who has actually almost succeeded in a no-floppy
> install. [snip]

Most (if not all) of the functionality for this is in the current
(1.2.6) boot-floppies package. I'm not sure which version was used to
create the current install disk set but the installation files I've
made up myself from a patched version of boot-floppies certainly allow
a zero floppy installation from DOS. [1]

> If we can get the CD mounting to work solidly from the installation
> kernel, I see no reason that this could not be done entirely off the
> CD without resorting to copying stuff to a dos partition, but this
> is still rather problematic for some hardware configurations.

I assume the problem is actually booting the kernel with a modifiable
command-line. Or are there problems with drivers for some CD ROM
drives?

Giuliano Procida

[1] ftp://pootle.magd.cam.ac.uk/current/ available most of the time