Re: SOLVED: Erk! Something is *really* wrong here!

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.95q.970305214155.815n-100000@siva.taz.net.au> you write:

>I'm getting the same problem on some of my systems. I've got a good
>suspicion that it's mgetty 1.1...here's why:

> - on machines which have no modems connected to them, there is no
>corruption. some of these have hundreds of telnet/ftp logins per day, so
>wtmp/utmp gets written to often enough that corruption would show up if
>it was going to.

Nope. I've got utmp corruption on a machine which doesn't have mgetty
installed at all. I'm running unstable as of yesterday. It looks like
console logins are the worst culprits too.

>maybe mgetty 1.1 was compiled on a system with glibc installed???

Hmmm. Possibly.

I'm getting slightly fed up of utmp/wtmp problems. Xterms are broken,
sessreg is broken, now consoles are broken. Is it _really_ that
difficult to log users?

Jon.