Re: SOLVED: Erk! Something is *really* wrong here!

At 12:16 AM 4/03/97 +0000, J.R.Goncalves@reading.ac.uk wrote:
>Mike,
>
>I have the same problem. I've done what you suggest above and it
>doesn't solve the problem. I think it's something else. It's
>not related to the kernel we are using. It started after I upgraded
>some packages but I don't know which one is the culprit. I'm
>following Bo.
>
>Ramos.

FINALLY, someone with the same problem as me - thankyou! :-) (I thought I
was going crazy <smirk>)

Ok - I have FIXED this error (though who knows, after this email it could
stuff up, but it's been ok for an hour now...)

This is the step-by-step solution I did:

1. go into rex/binary-i386/base (*not* rex-fixed - it still happens there!)
2. dpkg -i *.deb  - say no to update any config file except /etc/init.d/boot
3. changed /etc/lilo.conf to boot the original debian shipped kernel.
4. made sure that /etc/modules had "auto" commented out.
5. rebooted.
6. checked logins and wtmp/utmp - they seemed to work!!!
7. put back my old custom 2.0.29 kernel in the /etc/lilo.conf
8. rebooted.
9. system seems to work great!

I dare *NOT* to install anything from bo/binary-i386/base until we can find
WHAT is causing the problem.