Re: network problem

Michael Meskes wrote:

> I've set up our firewall witrh Debian using IP masquerading and the fwtk
> http proxy (I've recently updated to fwtk-2.0 beta, if noone's actively
> maintaining the package I try to create a new upload). My problem is that
> from time to time inetd disables the http service:
>
> Jan  6 10:06:08 mail inetd[403]: www-proxy/tcp server failing (looping), service terminated
>
> What's going on here? BTW My inetd.cfg says:
>
> www-proxy       stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/http-gw
> www-proxy       dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/http-gw
>
> Any idea?

Yes. The www-proxy entry has been called more than 40 time within
an interval of 60 seconds. Inetd now thinks that the service starts
and dies immediately and disables the service. You can change the
limit by adding a new maximal value to the wait/nowait options
(separated by a dot).

Using

www-proxy       stream  tcp     nowait.70  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/http-gw
www-proxy       dgram   udp     wait.70    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/http-gw

might fix your problem (inetd now allows 70 connections within 60
seconds).

Thanks,

Peter

--
 Peter Tobias                                EMail:
 Fachhochschule Ostfriesland                 tobias@et-inf.fho-emden.de