Re: libnfslock (or dftp?) install dangerous...

On 30 Dec 1997, Mark W. Eichin wrote:

: From: "Mark W. Eichin" <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
: To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
: Date: 30 Dec 1997 22:04:51 -0500
: Subject: libnfslock (or dftp?) install dangerous...
:
: I was just upgrading a system from [hamm a few weeks old] to [hamm
: today] using, for the first time, dftp (instead of a mirror and manual
: dpkg -BORGiE runs.)  I selected libnfslock, it created
: /etc/ld.so.preload, and since then any attempt to run a dynamic linked
: program gives a message, BUG IN DYNAMIC LINKER ld.so, and something
: about "i == npreloads".  (The broken machine is back at my office,
: waiting for a root floppy [the rescue disk alone is useless in this
: case] or I'd get it exactly...)

It happened to me too... argh.

Just a quick and dirty fix: boot the box with a rescue, mount hd,
and just rm or mv /etc/ld.so.preload. After that your box will work
again, and you can then upgrade to libc6-2.0.6-2 which fixes the
bug.

Thanks to David Engel, who mailed me the fix.

Happy new year!

Regards,

Roberto Lumbreras
rover@lander.es | rover@etsit.upm.es | rover@debian.org & pgp 143BE391