current maintainer of netcat, I've decided to make a non-maintainer
release of netcat with the version 1.10-3.1. It should let us close all
the distribution-specific bug reports for that package:

     * #5304: missing man page
     * #6647: netcat has no manpage
     * #9489: Package is still in old source format.
     * #9785: netcat: Documentation
     * #11530: /usr/doc/netcat
     * #11716: libc6
     * #13194: netcat: /usr/doc/netcat is file, not directory

It does not fix bug #10486, "nc doesn't understand ports in /etc/services
that have a '-' in them".

This package was done from scratch with source from ftp.avian.org, instead
of updating Michael's package. To make a non-maintainer release I have
ripped the description and a few other fields from the control files
of the previous package. I've taken the liberty of cutting and pasting a
manpage together and compiling with -DTELNET. I also put the examples and
scripts in /usr/doc/netcat/ in their own directories. /usr/doc/netcat is
now /usr/doc/netcat/README. There's now a changelog and changelog.Debian.
It's libc6 now.

Since this is my first Debian package, I'd appreciate a little peer
review. Install it, try it out, check that it runs on your system, unpack
the .tar.gz and patch, then see if it builds, etc...

Because I'm not an official debian developer (...gonna have to fix that :)
it has been uploaded to chiark. Word is it's sitting in master's incoming
directory awaiting further processing, so all you official developers can
get it there. If I'm connected, you can also snag it from my machine (on a
pitiful 28.8) at ftp://rcw.oz.net/pub/debian/. If you know your way around
chiark it should also be in alldone/ temporarily.

That should be enough to allow inclusion in hamm.

Also, netcat is conflicting with another package, nedit. The nedit client
(nedit does client/server apparently) is also called 'nc'. Does anyone
have any suggestions on what to do here?
--
Robert Woodcock - rcw@oz.net
All I want is a warm bed and a kind word and unlimited power.