Re: What's Debian's /usr/src policy.

---Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:

> 	Unfortunately, the kernel header files are getting to be quite
>  architecture dependent, and hence if libc development packages
>  continued to include kernel headers explicitly, we would need
>  different headers for different architectures, resulting in
>  libc6-dev-i386, libc6-dev-m68k, et. al.

This is more a problem of the fact that only the Alpha and i386
kernels are developed in the master tree; if a conscious effort was
made to keep the arch include headers in sync with the development
kernels for each port (which have constant locations) this wouldn't be
a problem.

Of course, this is further complicated because the kernels that aren't
developed in the master tree don't have consistent release timetables,
so they tend to skip master tree versions.

Chris
==
Chris Lawrence                  Email: quango@ix.netcom.com
Senior Political Science Major
University of Memphis           Contract Programmer
Memphis, Tennessee, USA         FedEx - Operations Research