Re: menu category for personal info. manager apps

joost witteveen wrote:
> I'll give my opinion here, but I'm running very low on time at the moment.
> So, I'll probably not participate in much of this discussion untill
> (well?) after 1998/1/7. Joey Hess also has a great feel for these things, and
> I will gratefully adopt any desicion he makes (assuming he wants
> to participate)

Basically, I agree with you here.

> > I notice a flaw in menu placement for a number of packages which might
> > be categories as Personal Information Managers (PIMs).  Namely, `ical'
> > and `addressbook' are listed in the `Apps/Tools' category, while
> > `xmaddressbook' is under `Apps/Misc'.
>
> Personally, I would say that "xmaddressbook" should then be moved to
> Apps/Tools. I also think that "PIM" isn't very clear. I would prefer something
> like "Personal", that at least gives you an idea as to what it is.

Wouldn't PIM be a little unclear for a non-native english speaker? I don't
think I even knew what the acronym meant until 5 years ago or so. So I agree
with you.

> > I can't say I'm extremely happy with either category.  I would propose
> > either `Apps/PIMs' or `Apps/Editors/PIMs', although that might be too
> > cryptic.  Other PIMs which might be likewise categories are Netscape
>
> If netscape is a `PIM', then chimera, emacs, whathaveyou certainly also
> are `PIM's. I wouldn't want netscape to appear in any such catogary.

Netscape calendar, not netscape. It's a different program. PIM is
pretty-well defined, and that definition doesn't include netscape. :-)

> > Calendar, xcalendar, .... I'm sure there are or soon will be others.
>
> Yes, Calendar I agree: that belongs to something like "Personal".

So long as you can add personal information to it, otherwise it's just a
tool, I think.

Well, I've seen about 3 items mentioned that could go in this menu and that
are currently part of debian. I don't feel that's enough to warrent a new
top-level menu entry. I'd suggest we just move xmaddressbook to Apps/Tools
for now. If we later get about 10 items that belong in a Personal Info
Managers menu, we can worry about what to name it at that point.

--
see shy jo