Re: menu category for personal info. manager apps

I'll give my opinion here, but I'm running very low on time at the moment.
So, I'll probably not participate in much of this discussion untill
(well?) after 1998/1/7. Joey Hess also has a great feel for these things, and
I will gratefully adopt any desicion he makes (assuming he wants
to participate)

> I notice a flaw in menu placement for a number of packages which might
> be categories as Personal Information Managers (PIMs).  Namely, `ical'
> and `addressbook' are listed in the `Apps/Tools' category, while
> `xmaddressbook' is under `Apps/Misc'.

Personally, I would say that "xmaddressbook" should then be moved to
Apps/Tools. I also think that "PIM" isn't very clear. I would prefer something
like "Personal", that at least gives you an idea as to what it is.

> I can't say I'm extremely happy with either category.  I would propose
> either `Apps/PIMs' or `Apps/Editors/PIMs', although that might be too
> cryptic.  Other PIMs which might be likewise categories are Netscape

If netscape is a `PIM', then chimera, emacs, whathaveyou certainly also
are `PIM's. I wouldn't want netscape to appear in any such catogary.

> Calendar, xcalendar, .... I'm sure there are or soon will be others.

Yes, Calendar I agree: that belongs to something like "Personal".

joost witteveen,
(I'm preparing for my promotion 1998/1/7, and have less than  zero
time to spend on anything that isn't really related to that (or esperanto)).