Re: debhelper: suggestions

Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
>  Maybe you could do it once, in the "rules" file:
>
> export PKG_VERSION=$(shell dh_parseversion)
>
>  ... and then use it from the environment.

I don't want the dh_* to be dependant on the particular debian/rules
they are in. They should be able to be added, singly, to rules files,
without any other bother.

> I don't know what to do
>  about that error mess.

It's a bug, anyway. However, it can just be directed to /dev/null (it's
stderr).

> Is it on stdout or stderr?  Perhaps you could
> have `dh_parseversion' elide it with redirections... piping through
> `gawk' and only grabbing what you need seems to work.  I don't know
> if `expr' is a simpler way yet.  Hmmm.  Does it handle the newlines?

Yes:

expr "`dpkg-parsechangelog`" : '.*Version: \(.*\).*\nDistribution:'

--
see shy jo