Re: debhelper: suggestions

Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
>  Well, I'm glad you wrote it the way you did.  I've just begun to
>  learn how shell scripts are written and that's the first time I'd
>  encountered that use of `expr'.  I learned from it.

Same here, I stole that bit from debstd. ;-)

However, on second thought, using dpkg-parsechangelog is unappetising. Not
only does it print out this annoying error message, but it takes a about a
second to run. (on a p166)

joey@kite:~/debian/build/debhelper-0.35>time dpkg-parsechangelog  >/dev/null
no utmp entry available, using value of LOGNAME ("joey") at

Since debian/rules files that use debhelper typically cal about 20 d_*
programs in a package build, that's about half a minute added to the build,
along with an appalling amount of ugly messages. I don't know... it's the
right thing to do, but it's so ugly...

--
see shy jo