Re: Intent to split mysql package

Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:

> On 22 Dec 1997, Scott Hanson wrote:
>
> > (The upstream source also includes perl libraries, but I'd rather
> > package these from CPAN.)
>
> The perl lib that's included in the mysql distribution is much different
> from the DBI version from CPAN. I'm using the DBI version, but I guess
> some people out there still use the mysql version. Perhaps we should keep
> it in some mysql-perl package?

Actually, the new upstream version now includes the DBI libraries
instead of the old mysql lib. Both libs are in CPAN, though. My idea
was to create a new package for the old libs.

> > The server package will continue to be in non-free. The client is GPLd
> > and can go into contrib, and I think the other sub-packages can go
> > into contrib as well.
>
> Well, there was a discussion on debian-policy some time ago about such a
> setup. The problem is that all packages are built from a single source
> package (I think) and that package will have to be in non-free. Thus, we
> would not have full source for the contrib packages.
>
> We haven't decided yet how to handle this situation.

True... there is only one source package. It's probably best to keep
everything in non-free.

--
Scott Hanson  <shanson@shcon.com> <shanson@debian.org>
Johmsweg 9a, D-21266 Jesteburg, Germany    PGP Key ID: 90A8A14D