Locale for Japanese?

How should we deal with a locale for Japanese in Debian 2.0?

AFAIK, the XFree86 for the GNU libc are now built without
the X_LOCALE macro definition, so their I18N is based on the
system locales.

However, in hamm, there is no locale for Japanese provided
yet.  This may become a large problem for most of Japanese
users when Debian 2.0 is out.  In fact, some RH 5.0 users in
Japan chose to recompile their X libraries and programs with
X_LOCALE, which will result in binary incompatibility with
others.

In this regard, I think it is better to use the system
locales in the X Window System than to use X's own ones, so
I have tried to define a locale for Japanese.  While it is
useful to run internationalized X programs, the locale
definition I made is very incomplete.  It is just because
the current locale implementation in the GNU libc cannot
handle MBCS in common encodings correctly.

I can upload the locale definition as a Debian package, but
I am not sure Debian 2.0 should include it.

Any comments are welcome.

--
Kaz Sasayama <Kaz.Sasayama@hypercore.co.jp>
Hypercore Software Design, Ltd. <URL:http://www.spice.or.jp/%7Ehypercor/>