"/etc/ld.so.conf" ordering

 I was just trying to compile `browser-history', and the following
 thing happened:

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/debian/Work/browser-history'
gcc -ansi -O -Wall browser-history.c -o browser-history \
     -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXmu -lX11
ld: warning: libc.so.5, needed by /usr/lib/libc5-compat/libXt.so.6, may conflict with libc.so.6
/lib/libc.so.5: the `getwd' function is dangerous and should not be used.
/lib/libc.so.5: the `gets' function is dangerous and should not be used.
/lib/libc.so.5: warning: `siggetmask' is obsolete; `sigprocmask' is best
/usr/lib/libc5-compat/libXt.so.6: undefined reference to `_Xsetlocale'
make[1]: *** [browser-history] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/debian/Work/browser-history'
make: *** [build-stamp] Error 2
[status 2]

 ... something told me that it was the ordering of the entries in
 "/etc/ld.so.conf" causing the trouble, so I went there and moved all
 of the `libc5-compat' ones to the end of the file, ran ldconfig, and
 that fixed the problem.

 Is this happening to others also?  Is there a way to ensure that the
 "ld.so.conf" file will be built in the correct order?