Re: Paranoia, "pristine sources", turnkeys, compiling, configuration

Hi,

	Before Debian, I used to roll my own. I used to spend hours
 and hours, chasing down sources, removing all incompatibilities I
 could detect (and fix), compiling them, dealing with bad versions,
 and, alas, very little of the software was truly well behaved.

	I think precompiled binaries save me a load of time -- without
 this, I could no longer afford the luxury of a free system. Is that
 justification enough for the .deb packages?

	Ideally, all sources shall be well behaved, and they all would
 follow a file heirarchy standrard, and they all would mesh into
 place, and there shall be now wars, famines, or floods, and imagine,
 a world with no conflicts -- unfortunately, Lennon was right, and we
 are dreamers, the two of us; but Debian lives in the madness we call
 real world.

	alack, and well-a-day.

	manoj
--
 "Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds, bursting with its
 own corrections.  You can keep your sterile truth for yourself."