Re: New required base packages for Amiga, Atari, ... detection

Roman Hodek <rnhodek@faui22c.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> writes:

> There are now some packages for m68k that make sense only on a
> specific machine type. Currently we have such packages only for Atari,
> but others can follow easily. The packages are nvram and setsccserial,
> and atari-fdisk is about to be debianized.
>
> Those packages are currently Architecture: m68k, but this alone isn't
> sufficient, because it still allows their installation on e.g. an
> Amiga, where they don't make sense at all. Currently the preinst
> script of such packages makes some tests that the machine really is an
> Atari (via /proc files), but this isn't the cleanest solution. It
> would be much better if already dependencies could forbid installation
> on non-Atari machines (or whatever...).

[snip]

What about the packages that are arch-all that can be installed on any
arch but only make sense on one or two architectures. For example the
quake stuff is irrelevant on my Amiga. Compared to that the Atari only
stuff is not that important.

I think its a good idea to stop people from installing those package
by acident, but something preventing those packages to be installed by
acident would also be nice (esspecially when its in the Package file
so one can prevent the mirroring of such a package).

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn