Re: Questions about emacs20 file system layout.

  APH> BTW, are .elc files arch-dependant or arch-indep?  I've always
  APH> wondered about this.

.elc files are architecture independent. However, they are not
emacs-independent. What happens is:

.elc files compiled with xemacs 19.x or emacs 19.y, where y <= 28 will
work on all v19 or v20 emacsen.

.elc files compiled with emacs 19.z with z >= 29 will only work on
emacs 19.29 or later.

.elc files compiled with v20 emacs or xemacs wil only work on v20
emacsen.

Makes it difficult at work where, depending on the machine, I have to
use emacs 19.28, 19.34 or xemacs 20.3 (where the xemacs is my home
machine).

-Larry